Getting Started (Without Hosting)
Zero BS CRM is different to many other CRMs in two respects:
- It does not run on your computer as an app
- It does not exist solely in the cloud
Zero BS CRM is a self-hosted CRM. This means you run it yourself on your own web hosting. There are many benefits to this approach, and a few cons. It does however require that you have your own web hosting.
1) Getting Web Hosting
First of all you’ll need to sign up for web hosting somewhere. There are countless services who offer web hosting, all of which basically give you space on their servers for a monthly price.
It can be difficult to understand all of the options when comparing different web hosting plans, but for ZBS CRM it’s simple. Our CRM plugin will run on 99.99% of all web hosts. The only requirements are:
- Includes a Domain name
- Includes a MySQL Database
(You don’t even have to know what these mean at this point.)
After decades of experience using web hosts, we’ve come to the conclusion that our favourite is 1and1. All of their web hosting offerings work well with ZBS, but our favourite is “Pro” under the title page “Web Hosting” (£6.99 per month at time of publishing this).
You can, of course, use almost any host, but 1and1 are especially straightforward & quality.
1.1) Choosing a domain name
Along with a hosting account, you’ll also need a domain name for this. Most hosts provide you with a free domain name when you register (1and1 does).
We recommend choosing something short & relevant to your business. e.g. mikesbusiness.com – when we install the plugin we can then put it on a subdomain (crm.mikesbusiness.com) (optional, but recommended!)
The process for registering a domain name is very straightforward so we won’t belabour it here – signing up to most web host companies prompts you to choose a domain name.
2) Installing WordPress
After you’ve signed up to a web host and registered your domain name, we’ll need to install WordPress and then Zero BS CRM onto that. Most web hosting providers make this super easy.
We’ll show you how using 1and1 here, but there’s also some guides below if you’d like to use another host. Often you simply need to find the option “One click install -> WordPress”.
- Log into your 1and1 and scroll down to “Hosting”. Find “1and1 App Center” and click “WordPress” underneath it.
- Follow the on-screen install wizard provided by 1and1, making sure that when you have to select “what domain to install on” you choose your main domain (mikesbusiness.com – or a subdomain like crm.mikesbusiness.com)
- When this is finished, congratulate yourself, you have a WordPress install and you’re ready to install Zero BS CRM!
- Head over to the Getting Started guide and install the CRM!
Guides for one-click installing WordPress (Other Hosts)
Here’s a handful of guides for installing WordPress on the most common web-hosts, (please note, we’ve not tried all of these web hosts and cannot provide advice beyond suggesting 1and1 as above).
- 1and1 WordPress Installs
- GoDaddy WordPress Install
- One.com 1 click WordPress Install
- BlueHost WordPress Install
- MediaTemple WordPress Install
- DigitalOcean WordPress Install
- DreamHost WordPress Install
Further Help With Web Hosting
If you’re having trouble installing Zero BS CRM, please do reach out and let us know, but as stated in our support policy – we cannot give generic WordPress install advice, and cannot really help with web hosting generally… but if there’s any hiccups installing ZBS we’d be happy to help with them.